Here are some preliminary ideas on ways to educate young people about the life of folk singer and activist Pete Seeger, who died on January 27 at the age of 94.
1. WORDS: Listen to songs, read song lyrics, read speeches and interviews.
- Many materials, including many songs, are collected here.
- Video cuts of 6 Seeger songs from Time magazine
- Read Seeger's testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee in 1955
- A 2012 NPR interview with Seeger
- See Seeger quotes here.
2. ACTIVISM: Learn more about his activism over the years, from fighting Hitler to Occupy Wall Street. Create a timeline of how Seeger intersected with world events.
- This NY Times feature might be helpful.
- See this Rolling Stone photo collection
3. WRITE: Learn about Seeger and then write your own remembrance. See these obituaries: