Use the images and links below to explore these questions with students:
- What countries are part of Asia?
- What and where are the Pacific Islands?
- What are some key historical facts about AAPI history?
- What articles and books can help us explore the AAPI community further?
MAP OF ASIA
Asia can be divided into 5 regions:
- Central Asia: Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, and Kyrgyzstan
- East Asia: China, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau
- South Asia: Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, India, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bhutan, Nepal, Iran, and the Maldives
- Southeast Asia: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor Leste, and Vietnam
- Western Asia is usually referred to as the Middle East but more recently has been called West Asia-North Africa (WANA)
Map of U.S. Pacific Islands
U.S. Pacific Islands
- American Samoa
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Marshall Islands
- Northern Mariana Islands
Information on AAPI HISTORY in the U.S.
- Exclusion Act
- Building the transcontinental railroad Hawai’i becoming a state
- Japanese Internment Camps
- Asian American and Pacific Islander History
- Yuri Kochiyama & Malcolm X
- Larry Itliong & Cesar Chavez
- Grace Lee Boggs & the Detroit Black Power movement
Some BOOK recommendations
- Days of Distraction by Alexandra Chang
- The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
- The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka
- The Book of Salt by Monique Truong
- I Hotel by Karen Tei Yamashita
- The Making of Asian America by Erika Lee
- Minor Feelings by Cathy Park Hong
- Hawai’i’s Story by Hawai’i’s Queen by Queen Lili’uokalani, Hawai’i’s last sovereign monarch
- Tastes Like War by Grace M. Cho
- House of Sticks by Ly Tran
- Beautiful Country by Qian Julie Wang Crying in H-Mart by Michelle Zauner America Is In the Heart by Carlos Bulosan
- Night Sky with Exit Wounds by Ocean Vuong
- DMZ Colony by Don Mee Choi
- Dream of the Divided Field by Yanyi