To help families and educators comfort young ones and help explain this violent event, please see these resources:
- The Collaborative for Social & Emotional Learning (CASEL) has compiled a listing of helpful resources.
- The trauma site of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) includes tips for talking with children by age group, including infant/toddler and preschoolers: http://www.samhsa.gov/trauma/
- The National Association of School Psychologists has these helpful tips for parents and teachers.
- After the shooting: How you can help (suggestions for adults or young people)
- A helpful website for parents on helping childern exposed to shocking events.
- In addition please see our resources on TeachableMoment.org, including an essay for parents on talking with children about the tragedy as well as general guidelines aimed at helping educators address difficult issues, and our lessons on gun control.