Morningside Center is seeking experienced, resourceful educators strongly committed to social and emotional learning (SEL) to join our team of staff-developers in transforming schools. Our per diem staff developers provide ongoing support to schools in implementing our evidence-based programs for grades pre-k to 12.
NY Times reports on our cutting edge coaching process!
This wonderful piece by Suzanne Bouffard in the NY Times blog (4/30/14) highlights our collaboration with researchers to develop a powerful teacher coaching method as part of our 4Rs Program. Bouffard shows how this innovative coaching process helps teachers transform their classrooms as they teach and practice SEL skills.
"I don't want to be the police person in the classroom," said 4Rs teacher Nydia Mendez. "I really want them to solve their own problems and become independent with that."
Morningside Center's Tom Roderick adds, "It's about teaching kids skills and giving opportunities to practice and apply them to real-life situations. ... It's problem-solving."
Photo of PS 24 students in 4Rs class by Emile Wamsteker for Education Week
How do students feel about Restorative Circles?
For the past three years, Morningside Center has partnered with the NYC Department of Education to introduce Restorative Circles in 53 middle schools and high schools across New York City. The program will expand in 2014-15. Through a structured process, the program strengthens students' connection to each other and the school, builds students' social and emotional skills, and provides a positive approach to discipline. See this 2-MINUTE VIDEO about how Circle affected students at one Brooklyn high school. Find out more about the program here.
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
- Homelessness in the U.S.: Is there a solution? July 26, 2014
- Washington Redskins: Time for a Name Change? July 13, 2014
- The Navajo Code Breakers: A Lesson in Historical Empathy June 25, 2014
Social & Emotional Learning
- Still I Rise: A Circle in Honor of Maya Angelou May 31, 2014
- Reading Fiction Helps Make Us Human November 2, 2013
- Creating a Kind Classroom: A Lesson to Start the New School Year September 10, 2013
- RT @Larryferlazzo NEW POST: With Friends Like David Brooks,Social Emotional Learning Doesn’t Need Any Enemies t.co/04qGVrNYUD #SEL
- "Transformational teachers don't react. They anticipate and prepare." 4 Big Things Transformational Teachers Do: t.co/WupIjSNt7q
- New Lesson! Homelessness in the US: Is There a Solution? t.co/XTJvJ5Rxuv… #sschat