Last week Morningside Center’s staff developers came together for a day-long workshop on how to help teachers and young people explore issues of culture, identity, and bias. The group had many amazing conversations, including one about whether to use your own privilege (because of your race, class, gender, etc.) to act as an ally to others.
Morningside Center Deputy Executive Director Tala Manassah talks about alternatives to suspending kids in early childhood education at the Albert Shanker Institute: "Suspensions are not only ineffective, they're immoral. A suspension means that we are saying to the kid, 'You are not part of this community anymore. You are not wanted.' If there are kids who are outside the reach of schools, then schools have got to change."
Our Diversity Panel Program "helps kids who have been teased or excluded to understand that it’s not just their personal problem. It breaks the isolation they feel by helping them understand that this is happening to so many of us. And to see that we can do something about it.” See our brand new video about the program, and find out more on our blog!
Suspensions have "dropped significantly" at Manhattan's Landmark High School, according to principal Caron Pinkus. And there are fewer fights at the school. She credits the restorative practices her school has been implementing through Morningside Center’s Restore360 Program. Is Landmark's experience the exception or the rule? We delved into the NYC Department of Education's suspension data to find the answer. Read more.
Morningside Center in the news:
- WNYC features progress at a Restore360 school.
- Education Week details findings from cost-benefit study of The 4Rs & 5 other SEL programs.
- Telemundo features our PAZ After-School Program at PS 214 in the Bronx.
- New York Times reports on our cutting edge coaching process.
- Education Week features our 4Rs Program.
- Live, Research & Learn: WT Grant blogpost shares insights from our 26-year collaboration with researchers.
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
Social & Emotional Learning
- Empathy & Solidarity to Counter the Wave of Anti-Muslim Bias December 13, 2015
- 3 Allies: A Story about Standing Up December 9, 2015
- A Halloween Circle on Fear October 25, 2015