Our society doesn't always give young people the respect and love they need and deserve. Morningside Center works to change that. Hand in hand with educators, we create caring and joyful schools where young people learn the skills they need to thrive. Please join the cause:
Give generously to our year-end fund drive!
The teachable moment we're in right now
Only rarely does a teachable moment come along that is as powerful as the one we're in right now. Ever since the deaths of Michael Brown and Eric Garner, teachers have been encouraging their students to share their feelings and thoughts, discuss, and learn more about what's in and behind the news.
We are also helping teachers take advantage of this moment through the TeachableMoment section of our website (as this AP story about teaching on Ferguson recently noted). At least two school districts - in Washington DC and Madison, WI - have used our TM materials as the basis for teacher guides on discussing this subject.
See our collected lessons on Garner and Brown here. If you do use TeachableMoment to teach on Ferguson or anything else, please take a few minutes to tell us how we can improve our lessons by taking this 6-question mini-survey. And please support this work!
Morningside Center in the news:
- Telemundo features our PAZ After-School Program at PS 214 in the Bronx.
- New York Times reports on our cutting edge coaching process.
- Education Week features our 4Rs Program.
- Live, Research & Learn: WT Grant blogpost shares insights from our 26-year collaboration with researchers..
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
- Australians stand up to anti-Muslim bias with a hashtag December 17, 2014
- Our lessons on Garner and Brown, collected December 15, 2014
- Mexico: missing students ignite a movement December 14, 2014