A period of mindful quiet led to an unusual moment of sharing and empathy in one 6th grade classroom. See Marieke van Woerkom's latest In the Circle blogpost.
On April 27, WNYC’s Beth Fertig reported on the spread of restorative practices in NYC's public schools, shining a light on the progress at the Expeditionary Learning School for Community Leaders, which is part of Morningside Center’s Restore360 Program. (We trained school staff and provided on-site coaching for staff over two years.)
The school’s principal, David O’Hara, reported that his "in-school suspensions have since gone down considerably, cut by more than 40 percent in the past year alone. There was only one out-of-school suspension this year. Meanwhile, he said credit accumulation, attendance and the graduation rate have all gone up.Staffers say that’s largely because they and the students have gotten on board. Twelve students have already been trained as peer mediators, a selective process that takes several months, and 15 more have signed up.”
Congratulations to students, staff, and principal at the Expeditionary Learning School!
Tala Manassah joins de Blasio commission on school climate & discipline
Morningside Center Deputy Executive Director Tala Manassah was invited by NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio’s office to join the administration's Leadership Team on School Climate and Discipline. Read more here. (And for more on this work, see our presentation at the Albert Shanker Institute's forum on 'Fairness & Effectiveness in School Discipline.")
Morningside Center in the news:
- WNYC features progress at a Restore360 school.
- Education Week details findings from cost-benefit study of The 4Rs & 5 other SEL programs.
- Telemundo features our PAZ After-School Program at PS 214 in the Bronx.
- New York Times reports on our cutting edge coaching process.
- Education Week features our 4Rs Program.
- Live, Research & Learn: WT Grant blogpost shares insights from our 26-year collaboration with researchers.
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
- A Eulogy Calls Out for Justice July 22, 2015
- Overcoming Hate: A Circle on the Charleston Massacre June 20, 2015
- Teachable Instant: No vacation nation? June 19, 2015