The 4Rs & other top SEL programs deliver $11 for every $1 invested
A just-released study by the Center for Benefit-Cost Studies of Education at Columbia University's Teachers College, "The Economic Value of Social and Emotional Learning," found that high-quality, research-validated social and emotional learning programs bring a return of $11 for every $1 invested.
For the study researchers chose six of the nation’s most prominent, scientifically validated SEL programs, including Morningside Center’s 4Rs Program (Reading, Writing, Respect & Resolution). They analyzed the costs of each program. Then they calculated the long-term benefits of each program, based on research findings for that program. (For instance, The 4Rs has been found to reduce aggression, improve social competence, reduce ADHD and depression symptoms, and improve academic performance, among other things.) They used cost-benefit analysis to calculate the ultimate value of these improved outcomes.
The results suggest that fostering young people’s social and emotional learning is an incredibly powerful investment in the future.
Introducing Teachable Instant
We’ve added a new feature to TeachableMoment.org, our online teacher resource center: Teachable Instant. Every Monday morning, we offer a new short classroom activity to engage students in a topic in the news or on the calendar – in just 5 to 15 minutes. Other Teachable Instants this past month include: Who Owns the World's Wealth?, Obama's Free College Tuition Proposal, and Global Divestment Day.
In the Circle: Quiet Participation
"Our students have plenty of people in their lives talking to them or at them, far fewer people who practice listening. They have a need to be heard into speaking." Read staff developer Marieke van Woerkom's latest blogpost.
Morningside Center in the news:
- Telemundo features our PAZ After-School Program at PS 214 in the Bronx.
- New York Times reports on our cutting edge coaching process.
- Education Week features our 4Rs Program.
- Live, Research & Learn: WT Grant blogpost shares insights from our 26-year collaboration with researchers..
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
- Teachable Instant: President Obama Vetoes the XL Pipeline February 28, 2015
- Obama's Free College Plan February 22, 2015
- Teachable Instant: Walmart Pay Hike February 21, 2015
- SEL delivers $11 for every $1 spent! New study finds our 4Rs & other top programs are an amazing investment. EdWeek: t.co/CC0Fvv4ycY
- "My 5-year-old son won’t learn the same history in high school that I did when I was a teenager." t.co/0u0orf87X1
- In 3 readings & discussion, students examine President Obama's proposal for free community college: t.co/XkjV9MHRpH