Tala Manassah joins de Blasio commission on school climate & discipline
Morningside Center Deputy Executive Director Tala Manassah was invited by NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio’s office to join the administration's Leadership Team on School Climate and Discipline. "Morningside Center has been leading the charge in school-based implementation of restorative practices in NYC, and we are thrilled to have the opportunity to contribute to the conversation about how we can make our schools more equitable and joyful for all of our children," says Tala. Read more here. (And for more on this work, see our presentation at the Albert Shanker Institute's forum on 'Fairness & Effectiveness in School Discipline.")
New study shows The 4Rs & other top SEL programs extremely cost-effective
As Education Week recently reported, a new study by the Center for Benefit-Cost Studies of Education at Columbia University's Teachers College, "The Economic Value of Social and Emotional Learning," found that high-quality, research-validated social and emotional learning programs bring a return of $11 for every $1 invested. The study is based on an analysis of the costs and benefits of six of the nation’s most prominent, scientifically validated SEL programs, including Morningside Center’s 4Rs Program (Reading, Writing, Respect & Resolution). Read more.
Introducing Teachable Instant
We’ve added a new feature to TeachableMoment.org, our online teacher resource center: Teachable Instant. Every Monday morning, we offer a new short classroom activity to engage students in a topic in the news or on the calendar – in just 5 to 15 minutes. Other Teachable Instants this past month include: Who Owns the World's Wealth?, Obama's Free College Tuition Proposal, and Global Divestment Day.
Morningside Center in the news:
- Education Week details findings from cost-benefit study of The 4Rs & 5 other SEL programs.
- Telemundo features our PAZ After-School Program at PS 214 in the Bronx.
- New York Times reports on our cutting edge coaching process.
- Education Week features our 4Rs Program.
- Live, Research & Learn: WT Grant blogpost shares insights from our 26-year collaboration with researchers..
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
- Teachable Instant: Indiana's 'religious freedom' law March 29, 2015
- Teachable Instant: Vanuatu Cyclone & Climate Change March 22, 2015
- Women's History Month: 3 Civil Rights Activists Who Changed History March 20, 2015
- “We always want to talk about best practices, but we also have to talk about pitfalls,” t.co/57sIMS3yYI
- Teachable Instant: Indiana's 'religious freedom' law - t.co/TKERSoKVGa
- Get students talking about the week's news! This week's Teachable Instant: Indiana's new "religious freedom" law. t.co/DDcf5WtC6u