We can help your school!
"The tone of my building has improved, our suspension rate has dipped, the curse rate is dropping; student outcomes are improving. Our attendance is high. Those are all positive signs that are letting us know that the work we are doing is moving us in the right direction."
- Principal David Cintron, Bronx
"The conversations are changing among our teachers. The quality of their interactions with their students has changed, and so has the quality of student-to-student interaction. We've seen a decrease in suspensions. Children are using the language of The 4Rs. And I observe a difference in how teachers and children respond to conflict in the classroom. As a result, there are significantly fewer disruptions to teaching and learning."
- Principal Roberta Davenport, Brooklyn
One of the biggest challenges school leaders face is improving the climate for learning in their schools and classrooms. All too often disrespect - including teasing, bullying, and fighting - pervades the hallway, cafeteria and playground. In classrooms, teachers struggle to create a calm, respectful climate where students can learn. The two principals above have made huge progress in meeting these challenges, in part through their work with Morningside Center for Teaching Social Responsibility.
Over the past 27 years, Morningside Center (an approved DOE vendor) has partnered with hundreds of school leaders across New York City to help them improve their schools. The results have been outstanding - and scientifically proven: A major 3-year research study of our 4Rs Program (Reading, Writing, Respect & Resolution) compared outcomes for students in nine NYC public schools implementing the 4Rs compared to nine control schools. Researchers found that in 4Rs schools:
- students were less aggressive
- students had fewer attention and hyperactivity problems
- students were more more socially competent
- teachers had created a measurably better classroom climate for learning
- at-risk students showed greater improvement in attendance and standardized test scores
What is The 4Rs? It's an engaging, interactive curriculum (grades preK-8) that See The 4Rs in action on the PBS NewsHour. uses great children's literature as a springboard for building students' social and emotional skills. Through the program, we work closely with teachers to help them implement the curriculum - a process that also boosts their own classroom management skills and ability to connect with students. Find out more about The 4Rs.
The 4Rs is only one of an array of approaches we use to help schools improve the climate for learning through social and emotional learning (SEL). We provide tailored, multi-faceted support for schools to help them:
- establish peer mediation programs
- combat bullying school-wide (Pathways to Respect)
- develop an effective discipline program (Holistic Discipline)
- lead with emotional intelligence and help your school fully integrate social & emotional learning (Smart School Leaders)
- engage and support parents (Peace in the Family workshops)
If you'd like to find out more, please contact us now, in time for the new school year - and before our staff developers are assigned elsewhere. Call Lillian Castro, Director of Administration, 212-870-3318 x33, or e-mail her at LCastro@morningsidecenter.org. Lillian, Tom, and one of our team of experienced staff developers will tailor a program to meet your needs.
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Events & News
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
Social & Emotional Learning
- Nelson Mandela: Showing by Example December 6, 2013
- Reading Fiction Helps Make Us Human November 2, 2013
- Creating a Kind Classroom: A Lesson to Start the New School Year September 10, 2013