GULF OIL SPILL: What happened, and who is responsible?
Students discuss the massive BP oil spill and view two short videos as they consider what happened in the gulf, their own consumption of oil, and who should be held responsible for the spill.
By Marieke van Woerkom
- share their associations with the word oil
- discover the prevalence of petroleum based products in our lives
- watch two video clips about the Gulf of Mexico oil spill
- discuss who is responsible for the oil spill
- compassion for those affected by the spill
- awareness of students' own feelings about the environmental devastation
- consideration of cause and effect and the need to take responsibility for our actions
- today's agenda on chart paper or the chalkboard
- video clip #1 (3:45 minutes) at: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/oil-spill-reaches-gulf-coastline-10517269
- video clip #2 (2.36 minutes) at: http://abcnews.go.com/gma/video/oil-washes-ashore-florida-beaches-108235...
Gathering and Introduction
Do you use oil products every day?
Reflections on Two Video Clips
- What has been done about the oil spill so far, according to the videos?
- Who is affected by the oil spill, according to the videos?
- Who else do you know has been affected by the oil slick so far?
- Who else might be affected in the coming months and even years?
Who is Responsible?
- How do students think this discussion might affect them personally?
- Can students think of ways we could use less oil-and conserve energy in general?
- Do they know of other sources of energy we could use besides oil?
Marieke van Woerkom is an educator and trainer who works with Morningside Center. She has helped young people and adults around the world learn skills to resolve conflict and foster cross-cultural understanding.
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Events & News
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Latest Lessons
Most Popular Current Issues
- 9/11 ANNIVERSARY TEACHING GUIDE Aug. 31, 2011
- Practice DBQ: The Decision to Drop the Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima & Nagasaki Jan. 29, 2007
- WHAT HAPPENS INSIDE PRISON May. 23, 2007
Most Popular Social & Emotional Learning
- GETTING TO KNOW YOU: Classroom Activities for Starting Off the School Year Sep. 3, 2008
- Find Someone Who Jan. 30, 2007
- Be strong, Be Mean, or Give In? Nov. 7, 2011
TeachableMoment, a project of Morningside Center for Teaching Social Responsibility, fosters social responsibility by sharing free K-12 classroom lessons, activities and ideas with educators.