Resources to address the tragedy in Connecticut
We at Morningside Center are deeply saddened by the tragic killings at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Below are some resources aimed at helping families and educators comfort young ones and help explain this violent event.
- The Collaborative for Social & Emotional Learning (CASEL) has compiled a listing of helpful resources: http://casel.org/explaining-and-coping-with-school-violence/
- The trauma site of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) includes tips for talking with children by age group, including infant/toddler and preschoolers: http://www.samhsa.gov/trauma/
- The National Association of School Psychologists has these helpful tips for parents and teachers.
- After the shooting: How you can help (suggestions for adults or young people)
- A helpful website for parents: http://www.handinhandparenting.org/news/32/64/Helping-Children-Exposed-to-Shocking-Events
- In addition please see our resources on TeachableMoment.org, including an essay for parents on talking with their children about the tragedy, as well as general guidelines aimed at helping educators address difficult issues, and our lessons on gun control.
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
- Nail Salon Workers & the Real Cost of a Manicure May 19, 2015
- Teachable Instant: Tsarnaev & the Death Penalty May 17, 2015
- Teachable Instant: Chicago makes amends for police violence May 9, 2015