Smart School Leaders
Principal Roberta Davenport with students at PS 307, Brooklyn.
Photo © Carolina Kroon
Research increasingly shows that creating a school-wide climate of trust and respect is essential in improving our schools. Through our Smart School Leaders Program, we provide tailored support for principals in leading with emotional intelligence and in engaging all members of the school community in planning for and implementing schoolwide social and emotional learning (SEL).
The project includes:
Principal Coaching. We provide focused, one-on-one support for principals using “Star Factor,” an approach to coaching developed by Janet Patti of Hunter College School of Education and Robin Stern of Teachers College, based on Daniel Goleman’s research on leadership.
Collaborative Planning. We support the principals and a school SEL planning team as they develop a vision of SEL that is fully integrated into the school’s culture; make action plans; carry them out; and evaluate progress. To guide us, we use our manual Educating Heart and Mind: A Strategy for SchoolTransformation based on Social & Emotional Learning.
- Building SEL Capacity School-wide. We support the school in implementing a multifaceted school-wide approach to SEL that includes consistent classroom instruction, student leadership, and SEL-oriented discipline policies.
For more information, please contact Tom Roderick, Morningside Center’s executive director, at 212.870.3318 x32 or by email.
- School Services
- Classroom Lessons
- Events & News
- Contact Us
TeachableMoment Recent Classroom Lessons
- Thanksgiving: Exploring perspectives November 22, 2013
- Youth Incarceration and the Prison-Industrial Complex November 16, 2013
- Circle: BULLYING IN THE NFL November 12, 2013
Social & Emotional Learning
- Reading Fiction Helps Make Us Human November 2, 2013
- Creating a Kind Classroom: A Lesson to Start the New School Year September 10, 2013
- Values: A Circle to Start the New School Year September 9, 2013